Hello! My name is Kalishia Davey. I currently work in the Tarner area as a Community Development Worker. I am based in The Millwood Centre along with my colleague Terry. You can contact me on Tel: 01273 293792, Mob: 07411 251969, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or drop in to The Millwood Centre Tues-Thurs for a chat.
For more about TDC and the work that’s going on in communities then visit the website: www.trustdevcom.org.uk
So what is Community Development?
Community Development is providing communities with the tools, skills, guidance and support they need to tackle issues, solve problems, provide activities and events for all people living in that area.
There are lots of ways this can be done; here is a list of some;
- By holding regular meetings like a Residents Association or a Local Action Team, where people come together with service providers to discuss local issues and ways forward for solving them.
- Working with Service Providers to increase services in a local community, also work with them to change an aspect of their service so that it benefits the needs of local residents.
- Volunteer in the community to provide a service that you feel is missing, e.g. youth club, exercise group, art group, walking group, mental health discussion group etc.
- Representing your local communities’ needs at a higher level to make a change, e.g. attending citywide partnerships like the Community and Voluntary Sector committees that look at various areas like parks in the city, festivals in the city, equality in the city etc.
- Fundraise for a particular project, activity, event or something that needs changing or improving in the local community.
- Providing a community newsletter or website that can inform local people about what is happening in that community.
If anyone living in Tarner has any ideas for projects, activities or groups they would like to do, then please get in touch and we will be happy to support you in developing it further.
Current Local Groups/Projects Taking Place Locally:
- Albion Hill Social Club
- All Different, All Equal – Annual Community Festival
- Anatolian Friendship Association
- Banyan Tree – Hear Our Voices Drama & Art Workshops
- Black and Minority Ethnic Young People’s Project – BME Youth Club
- Early Childhood Project – Healthy Children, Healthy Families, Healthy Community!
- Friends of Tarner Park – Gardening Events
- Millwood Centre Management Committee – Getting Connected!
- Nelson Row Play Park Art Mural
- Puffin Community Nursery
- Tarner Area Partnership – Public Themed Community Meetings
- Tarner Community Garden
- Tarner Community Project – Children’s and Youth Services
TDC Volunteering Opportunities
The Trust for Developing Communities is currently recruiting volunteers who are interested in Community Development. The placements are situated in different communities all across the city. The positions are flexible and you gain a huge amount of support to develop your skills further.
If you are interested then please contact us on tel: 01273 262220 or email: email@example.com